Re: Steel Water Sorage Tank- Foundation Settlement Criteria

>Is there any design criteria/guideline for steel tank settlement ?
The corresponding loads probably fall into the category of support loads
which are always a consideration. Check the AWWA spec for allowable
stress levels. The real question is whether the movement reflects a local
load or simply rigid body displacement of the tank as a whole without any
elastic distortion. If the displacement is rigid body movement it won't
necessarily hurt the tank, but it may load the connecting pipe. I'd check
carefully to make sure that the pipes haven't deflected.

I think I'd also check the foundation carefully for any indication that
it's not undermined in some way that would cause rigid body movement.
Radial cracks or strained anchor bolts would indicate a problem of this
sort.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw