From: Parkerres(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Parkerres(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 1999 11:08 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Seismic design of block fences

Harold and Bill -

Thanks for the site wall clarification.  We had been using hx = hr = 1
giving, F = .54 W based on ap=1, Rp=3, Ca=.44x1.3 and dividing it all by 1.4

for working stress.

At hx=0, eq 32-2 goes to Fworking = .14W.  This is less than eq 32-3 where
Fwrkg = .29W which is almost the same as the .30 W of the 1994 Code.

Unfortunately, we seem to have lost the 2/3 reduction for ground supported
walls that we used in the 1994 Code so F = .20 for site walls.  Where did it

go?  And why?

Bruce Resnick, SE
Parker Resnick Str. Eng.

In a message dated 8/17/99 1:49:26 PM Pacific Daylight Time,