Bracing of the compression flange for steel beams

Dear learned friend,
A discussion has arose in our organisation on this topic,
I would like to hear some other opinions, if you please.

When stiffening an rect empty storage tank of steel plate,
with the stiffeners placed on the outside of the tank,
using C8 channels as primary and FB8 flat bar as secondary
stiffeners, both in opposite directions.
The C8 compression flange (side not welded to tank skin),
under wind loading, is fully braced torsionally and laterally,
by the coped FB8 welded into the mouth of the C8.

Is it acceptable to either AISC or any other organisation,
to use a secondary stiffener that does not attach to the
compression flange, like a FB4 in the mouth of the C8?
There is probably some torsional restraint but lateral is
questionable, which affects the effective length used.
Any comments welcomed.

Thanking you in anticipation,
Andy Costello