RE: Bracing of the compression flange for steel beams

> You will have to use mechanics principles to find out the effectiveness of
bracing.
> AISC will give you the basics, but they will not tell you what  exactly
comprises a brace.

The general subject of stability bracing (and the specific one in the
subject line) was addressed in great detail in the AISC and Structural
Stability Research Council (SSRC) traveling lecture on bracing for stability
by Joe Yura and Todd Helwig. The handouts from that course can be obtained
for a nominal fee through AISC's Bob Lorenz (312/670-5406). Two additional
notes. First, bracing strength and stiffness provisions have been added to
the 1999 AISC LRFD Specification for Structural Steel Buildings, which is
currently in the final stages of ballot resolution. Second, we have
contracted with Yura and Helwig to produce a design guide on stability
bracing that covers the broad range of topics now covered in the AISC/SSRC
short course. So hopefully, you will find that the topic is well covered in
the near future.

Charlie