Re: Turkey Earthquake and Moral Responsibilities

>My complaint addresses lack of proper implimentation of the structural
>design
This is an old story, and I'll harp on the pressure vessel codes once
again (I guess I'm like history--we repeat ourselves until someone pays
attention ;->) Without serious attention to quality assurance in the
product, the plans are like leaves blowing in the wind. You can't expect
any owner who goes with cheaper, when forced to choose between an
economic argument he understands and a technical argument he can't. And
the situation gets worse when the economic argument is bolstered by a
contractor who says 'we've never had any problems, and we've done it that
way for years.' That's why there's an engineering profession.

There is absolutely no question that people would still be dying by the
hundreds in boiler explosions and refinery accidents without the third
party inspection mandated by the ASME Code. There's still a fair amount
of bitching from engineers in my side of the trade abd the AI ('who's not
even an engineer') who's retained to insure that vessel construction is
up to the rules, but these people have saved more butts than anyone
knows, and not a few engineering careers. It could be the same in
building construction, but it won't be until the insurance business
(which picks up the bills for everything from structural collapse to
mildew damage) and the engineering business get together and start making
up their minds to make inspection a mandatory requirement for lower cost
insurance.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw