RE: Turkey Earthquake and Moral Responsibilities

Well said Dennis.

It is only logical that a prescriptive design would require a more
conservative design than an engineered design.  It is not that way because
developers have more influence with code committees than do engineers and
architects.  It is partly our fault also.  Not many engineers want to get
involved with "simple" residential design.  If a change is to occur I think
it will have to come because insurance companies either lobby for changes in
the code or they offer preferential rates for engineered buildings.  As you
mentioned, if a building is engineered, but not inspected, it will still be
quite likely to have several instances of poor construction. That is a
separate problem.

Roger Davis
SDS Architects, Inc
205 N. Dewey Street