Simple Y2K fix

Sandy Pringle wrote:

>>This interesting piece of mail arrived today. Those of you who are using
Windows9x may be interested. It is from a source I consider reasonably
reliable and the recommended cure seems innocuous.  I have seen comments that
Microsoft missed this in their last release.

Click on "START"

Click on "SETTINGS"

Double click on "CONTROL PANEL"

Double click on "REGIONAL SETTINGS" icon (look for the little globe)

Click on the "DATE" tab at the top of the page (last tab on the top right)

Where it says, "SHORT DATE SAMPLE", look and see if it shows a two digit year
format ("YY").  Unless you've previously changed it and you probably haven't,
it will be set incorrectly with just the two Y's.  It needs to be four!

That's because Microsoft made the 2 digits setting the default setting for
Windows 95, Windows 98 and NT.

This date format selected is the date that Windows feeds "ALL" application
software and will not rollover into the year 2000, it will roll over to the
year 00.

Click on the button across from "SHORT DATE STYLE" and select option that
shows, "mm/dd/yyyy" or "m/d/yyyy".  (Be sure your selection has four y's
showing, not just "mm/dd/yy).

Then click on "APPLY".

Then click on "OK" at the button.

Easy enough to fix.  However, every "as distributed" installation of Windows
worldwide is defaulted to fail Y2K rollover.

Thanks to  Lawyer  Gary Brown and my Brother-In-Law, Judge Stephen Taylor,
for passing this along.

R. Sandy Pringle,
President
STRUCTURAL INSPECTION CONSULTANTS Inc. <<

Test 1:

Now, to see if it really *does* work, set the date to 12-31-1999 and the time
to 23:59 (or 11:59 p.m).

Wait one minute (or a minute and a half) and at the DOS box type, "DATE"
followed by a carriage return and see what date it gives you.  If it doesn't
give you 01-01-2000, you do have a Y2K problem.

Test 2:

Set the date to 12-31-1999 and the time to 23:55 (or 11:55 p.m.).  Power down
the computer.

Wait 6 or more minutes and power on the computer.  Go to the DOS box and type
"DATE" followed by a carriage return and see what date it gives you.  If it
doesn't give your 01-01-2000, you do have a Y2K problem of the second kind.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona