Re: Turkey Earthquake and Moral Responsibilities

In a message dated 8/22/99 11:51:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
rdavis(--nospam--at)sdsarch.com writes:

<<  It is not that way because
 developers have more influence with code committees than do engineers and
 architects. >>

Roger, be careful here. This is not what I am saying. Substitute Building
Industry Association, National Association of Home Builders ect into the
sentence. The developers have virtually no influence on structural
engineering committees except in the case of engineers who may be
representing their interest -but I believe this to be rare.
The political lobby in congress (state and national levels) representing the
building industry and architects is, in my opinion, much greater than the
structural engineering lobby. This is where the problem comes in. We simply
do not have enough support in state and federal offices to institute change
that force the construction industry to tighten their educational and
practical experience requirements within their licensing act.
I'm afraid that this is why SEA is so hell bent on creating more restrictive
codes - it's a way to compensate for poor construction without consideration
to the ecconomics and affordablity of the homebuying public.

>"If a change is to occur I think it will have to come because insurance
companies >either lobby for changes in the code or they offer preferential
rates for engineered >buildings"

The insurance industry was the strongest lobby in creating a model
residential retrofit code - although it is not a mandatory measure. At least
the public is informed by the disclosure act in California that requires
these deficiencies to be disclosed to the buyer.

Why is not possible to circumvent the construction industy and shepard a bill
that requires the disclosure of methodology in residential construction. The
public, albeit uneducated in technical matters, will be forced to learn about
what they are purchasing insteading of being bombarded with marketing hype
that fails to identify the difference between prescriptive and engineered
designs.

Dennis Wish PE