RE: Simple Y2K fix

There was an article about this in the "Technology" section of the Houston
Chronicle.

This is another "hoax."

The fact is that the "external appearance" of the date data can't be
confused with the "internal appearance" of the data.

For example, my Mastercard says "EXP 01/00." Am I to infer that this means
my Mastercard isn't Y2K compliant? Hardly. It just means that the
manufacturer used "00" as shorthand (saves a little on the cost of
embossing, I guess). However, the account data that shows up on the bank's
computers, and (I assume) on the magnetic strip itself shows "January 2000."

I think again that we need to assume that most of the stuff we get in our
email like this is hogwash, pure and simple. No matter HOW convincing it
sounds. (The most convincing bit like this that I've ever seen was the
infamous "Aspartame causes horrible, fatal diseases" email that was going
around about a year ago. To read it, it sounded as though this were a person
who really had the inside scoop. Trouble was, for all the high-flown
technical sounding terms, nearly everything in it was false, and even
impossible).