Re: Turkey Earthquake and Moral Responsibilities

In a message dated 8/23/99 5:06:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
rdavis(--nospam--at)sdsarch.com writes:

<< Dennis, aren't these the same people? >>

Not really, since they represent such a small percentage of the members of
committees. Their votes alone will not institute change - they still have to
convince other members of the committee that the methodology is rational.

<>

Roger, I don't agree. It has to do with educating the public which was easy
to do with anchorage and cripple wall problems. The realestate industry was
involved and suddenly there was literature, brochures and documents written
by laypersons. It is not difficult to explain a level of performance. The
easiest way might be to provide the public an explanation in terms of their
insurance deductable. Simply put, the homeowner who buys a conventionally
framed home will more than likely invest more of his deductable into the
repair of the home than those who purchase homes designed to the minimum
engineered standard.
Nothing is perfect, and there will be ways to circumvent this that engineers,
who represent developers, will be hired to do. Still, it is better than what
we have - nothing. The building industry relies upon the publics ignorance of
reality to sell product. In my experience, once the home owner writes the
check for engineering, he has a greater concern over the quality of
construction and materials used.

Dennis Wish PE