Lap Splices for Restoration Projects

We are currently working on a concrete restoration project. This is an
older structure, built in 1921. (before the high bond deformation bars
were used). There may be some instances where some rebar has lost a
significant enough area to splice a new bar in.

The CRSI publication, "Evaluation of Reinforcing Steel Systems in Old
Reinforced Concrete Structures" recommends adding 10% to current lap
lengths. The reason stated is the old bars were 50% effective in bond
plus the steel yield being 33 v. 60 ksi gives a 10% difference in lap
length. The Sika rep. thinks these lap lengths are longer than what is
normally used. What am I missing here?

An alternative might be welding, but I would prefer to avoid this if I
can.

Jim Kestner, P.E.
Green Bay, Wi.