Re: Stiffeners on bowed plate

>I am also curious if anyone knows of a reference for bin design which
>considers "large deflection theory", i.e. development of membrane stresses
>in addition to flexural stresses in the side plates.

You won't develop membrane stresses unless you have a very stiff member
at the edges to react the loads. The corner weld cracks and bowed (they
didn't buckle) side plates are evidence of under design or abuse. Chances
are excellent that you'll need to replace the corner welds. It sounds
like it's just beat to death--I bet you'll get away a cheaper by just
replacing the thing.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw