Lap Splices for Restoration Projects

You might look into some of the CalTrans research on strengthening of
existing lap splices.  In many instances, improving the confinement of the
cover over the rebar, such as by adding a steel jacket or with
fiber-wrapping, will be sufficient to provide adequate development.
Otherwise, my opinion would be to go into the column and weld the splices.
I would make a pair of welds at some distance apart, so that the
eccentricity of the offset between the bars will have less of a
straightening effect when the bars stretch in tension.