From: Devlin, Dan [mailto:ddevlin(--nospam--at)BiggsCardosa.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 11:21 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: basement wall restrained by wood floor

Has anyone had any bad experiences with retaining walls restrained by
plywood diaphragms?  With a basement wall that is pinned at the top and
bottom, a wood floor is subjected to significant sustained in-plane
compression.  Even with a well drained wall and proper floor nailing and
blocking I would expect shrinkage and creep of the wood diaphragm to
result in problems such as distress to brittle floor finishes(tile).
Any examples to cite?

Thanks.

Dan Devlin
San Jose, CA
mailto:ddevlin(--nospam--at)biggscardosa.com