Re: RE: basement wall restrained by wood floor

Basements are like tanks.  Designing basements as free standing cantilevered walls may be considered conservative but is not correct.  Particularly around corners.  You also will end up not designing many basements.

When I practiced in Denver, we designed many basements in expansive soil situations and we used to add counter forts or buttresses at about 24 foot centers to stabilize the walls.  Also, basements are really not much different that tilt-ups or block buildings with wood diaphragms.  If one was to design these floors as they would roofs for tilt-ups, consider installing counter forts, and to install a perimeter drain system with a sump pump system you should get good results.

David A. Hall, S.E., P.E.
Senior Structural Engineer
David Evans and Associates, Inc.
2828 SW Corbett Ave