RE: Basement wall restraint by wood

I've very familiar with cross grain bending but what is cross grain
tension and is it suppose to be different than regular tension?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Oakford [mailto:oakfordm(--nospam--at)RSEC.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 1999 10:58 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Basement wall restraint by wood

Would the people who responded to the question on basement retaining
wall
design clarify if their reply applies equally well to basements with
soil
supporting walls on four sides and to daylight basements.  The back wall
in
a daylight basement puts the diaphragm in bending and allows more
displacement at the top of the back wall.  It also requires reducing the
Code allowable diaphragm shears to ¾ due to the permanent soil loading.
long diaphragm can reach the limit of allowable diaphragm shear for a
basement with walls on three sides only.  If the side wall must go up to
the
sill plate because cripple walls can not carry the shear, where does the
cost reduction come in when compared to a cantilever wall?

A claims adjuster told me one of the most common failures results from
the
top plate failing in cross grain tension as the wall move inward at the
top.

David A. Hall wrote:
"I am only suggesting that they are more economical ways to design an 8
foot
high basement foundation than to place a plus or minus 5 foot wide
continuous footing below it. Such as installing counterbores at 24 to 30
foot intervals around the exterior of the building."

Would you clarify what counterbores consist of - counterforts(?) with
wall
spanning horizontally between?

Mark Oakford, P.E., oakfordm(--nospam--at)RSEC.com
RSE Consulting, Federal Way, WA  98093-1417
T 253-927-6169   F 253-838-3823