Basement wall restrained by wood floor

In 99.9% of the residential construction I've seen, the basement wall is
supported by a strip footing, usually 20" wide or so. This type of wall
relies on the support at the top provided by the first floor. In one
direction, the direction of the floor joists, not only the floor deck but
also the joists act to provide the restraint. Pretty stiff and pretty strong
in this direction. In the other direction, parallel to the joists, a blocking
or bridging system has to be used to transfer the transverse shear at the
bottom of the rim joists, that bears on the sill plate that's anchored bolted
into the top of the wall, to the level of the floor deck.  In this case, the
floor deck is indeed providing most of the strength and stiffness it would
seem. But I don't see why it cannot be relied upon do its job. To design the
wall as a cantilever against backfill loads has expensive implications for
residential construction now that a structural footing is needed.