Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
FW: Basement wall restrained by wood floor[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: FW: Basement wall restrained by wood floor
- From: "Roger Davis" <rdavis(--nospam--at)sdsarch.com>
- Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 09:59:00 -0500
The thing that bothers me the most about the wood floor system bracing the basement wall is the standard 1/2" bolts at 6'-0" to 8'-0" on center. They never work when I calculate them. Roger Davis SDS Architects, Inc 205 N. Dewey Street Eau Claire, WI 54703 715-832-1605 rdavis(--nospam--at)sdsarch.com -----Original Message----- From: James F Fulton [mailto:James_F_Fulton(--nospam--at)RohmHaas.Com] Sent: Thursday, August 26, 1999 7:15 AM To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org Subject: Basement wall restrained by wood floor In 99.9% of the residential construction I've seen, the basement wall is supported by a strip footing, usually 20" wide or so. This type of wall relies on the support at the top provided by the first floor. In one direction, the direction of the floor joists, not only the floor deck but also the joists act to provide the restraint. Pretty stiff and pretty strong in this direction. In the other direction, parallel to the joists, a blocking or bridging system has to be used to transfer the transverse shear at the bottom of the rim joists, that bears on the sill plate that's anchored bolted into the top of the wall, to the level of the floor deck. In this case, the floor deck is indeed providing most of the strength and stiffness it would seem. But I don't see why it cannot be relied upon do its job. To design the wall as a cantilever against backfill loads has expensive implications for residential construction now that a structural footing is needed.
- Prev by Subject: RE: Basement wall restrained by wood floor
- Next by Subject: RE: Basement wall restrained by wood floor
- Previous by thread: RE: Basement wall restrained by wood floor
- Next by thread: RE: Basement wall restrained by wood floor