Table 16-O - Horizontal Force Factors, ap and Rp

On one of our jobs, we're installing some air conditioning package units on
top of a typical panelized roof.

We used a value of 1.0 for ap as required by 3.B in Table 16-O (page 2-33).

We received a plan check comment indicating that the value of ap should be
2.5 because the attachment of the unit is below its center of mass as is
required by 3C.  If I use the 2.5 value, I get a value which is greater than
that required for emergency power systems (3.D) and containers with
flammable hazardous materials (3.E).

Both parts of the code appear to apply?  Can anyone clarify when 1.0 or 2.5
are truly intended to be used.

Thanks in advance.

Joseph M. Otto, PE
Ireland Engineering