RE: Required wall attachment to a flexible diaphragm.

If you are talking about anchorage to a flexible diaphragm of tilt-up of
masonry wall, then ap = 1.5 otherwise 1.0.
Rp is 3.0 unless you do not meet the shallow anchorage requirement which
is the anchor in the wall must be embedded 8 times its diameter (i.e.
3/4" A.B. must have 6" embedment) otherwise your Rp equals 1.5 and your
force doubles.

The force (Fp) applies to Anchor bolts, prefabricated HD's & CT's etc..,
and all elements of the wall anchorage system (Struts, cross-ties,
chords, and subdiaphragms.) Note that Steel elements must be designed to
resist 1.4 times the force generated by the Fp equation (In ASD & LRFD
steel design). That means anchor bolts, metal straps (steel only, not
nails in wood- [that's the way I read it]), and simpson/kc metals/zone 4
hardware must be selected to meet this increased force. But the wood
elements, i.e. struts, bolted and nailed connections, and subdiaphragms
need only be designed to resist 0.85Fp. Soil type D yields the worst
results.

Yes . . . the forces get very high . . . don't use shallow anchors!!!

Confusing Ain't it. We'll get used to it. (hopefully)

Gerard Madden, P.E.
Civil Engineer, Associate
CRJ Associates, Inc.
email: gerardm(--nospam--at)crjarch.com