RE: Required wall attachment to a flexible diaphragm.

Agreed. the bolts in single shear from these HD's & CT'soften govern.
But not always-(double shear in thick lumber). The 1.4 factor always
applies. It may not govern but it applies. I would show it on a
calculation sheet regardless, proving it works, even if I suspect it is
not the controlling factor. The actual strength of the steel body for a
simpson HD is listed in the table is is at least 20kips. But the
footnotes also state that it is inappropriate to use this value in
design.

Gerard Madden, P.E.
Civil Engineer, Associate
CRJ Associates, Inc.