Plywood shear wall grade beam

Hi there:

One of our residential wood frame project is being requested to design
the plywood
shear wall grade beams per ACI 318 Chapter 21/UBC Section 1921 by the
peer review engineer. That means we will have to add ties in the grade
beams in addition to tension steel to meet the ductile requirements of
the code.

Is it really necessary to comply to the Chapter 21 in this case? Or can
I overdesign the grade beams to have 3 to 4 times shear and moment
capacity than what is needed to avoid the ties?