Re: presentation on Turkey earthquake in Santa Barbara in Sept.

Tom - EERI will be holding lengthy debriefings as well. Much of EERI's
observations have been multi-disciplinary in past debriefings. I think an
hour focusing only on structural engineering aspects is reasonable for SEAOC
considering the limited relevance to California practice.

In my view this should add urgency to improve code enforcement which has
inadequate staffing, resources and political support in many parts of
California. Code provisions should also be improved in the low to moderate
seismic regions of the state and the U.S. - particularly to prevent the use
of moderately-ductile concrete frames and lightly reinforced masonry which
may soon be buildable per IBC 2k in Sacramento and other parts of Eastern
and Central California.

Is it feasible for you to move the Turkey debrief to the end of the day to
allow it to run long if needed? Unfortunately I can't attend the SEAOC
Conference, but someone else from our office is attending. Best of success.

Fred Turner, Staff Structural Engineer, California Seismic Safety
Commission, 1755 Creekside Oaks Drive Suite 100, Sacramento, CA 95833
916-263-0582 Work Phone, 916-263-0594 Fax fturner(--nospam--at)quiknet.com