From: 'jwalsh(--nospam--at)saii.com'
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 1999 5:53 PM
To: Joyce; seaint
Subject: Concrete below base

We are designing a steel special concentric braced frame, 3 stories, in
seismic
zone 4 with rectangular concrete footings below the braced bays.  Section
1921.2.2.3 appears to require that concrete footings and tie beams be
designed
for ductile behavior per section 1921.  This means lap splices, closely
spaced
ties throughout, maximum footing width per 1921.3.1.4, etc. as per
flexural
members of concrete frames.  Is this correct or are we missing something?