From: Jim Bailey [mailto:jsbailey(--nospam--at)allen-bailey.com]
Sent: Friday, August 27, 1999 2:05 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: OMF's using joist-girders

Has anyone out there done any OMF's lately using joist-girders? This is a
one-story building in Zone 3 with 16' clear and 4' joist-girders. The design
data we have on this topic is more than 10 years old.

As far as I've been able to find out, nothing significant has changed since
our office did one of these about 15 years ago. The girder is designed for
full gravity loads as a simple span member, designed for live load moment at
the support as a fixed end member, and designed for full live load plus
seismic load moment at the support with 1/3 increase.

Of course, the building must meet drift requirements and the top chord at
the column has to be carefully detailed to transfer shear forces through the
bearing connection.

Jim Bailey