Re: Radiant heat/conc. floor

It is my understanding that in many cases the radiant heating systems in
the Eichler homes had to be abandoned due to leaking pipes.  One commonly
accepted source of the leaks is corrosion resulting from the copper pipes
being placed in contact with the reinforcing steel.  The newer plastic pipe
systems should adddress this concern.

Mark Gilligan

===================================
>No personal knoeledge of design, however all the houses built by Joseph
Eichler in Walnut Creek, CA . contained radiant heat systems in their
concrete slabs which were  on grade.  We lived in one for 10 years and
never
experienced any problems.  Some of the  houses did, however, due to faulty
construction-the  workmen when pouring the concrete slab apparently did not

use "dobies" under the pipes, and as a result there was no cover under the
copper pipes-they just lay on the adobe soils and eventually corroded
through
and leaked.
Wonderful heating system, though.
If you call me personally , I will try to get some more details for you,
bearing in mind that this occured some some forty years ago.
Tom Coull PE          (TBCoull(--nospam--at)aol.com)
654 Banyan Lane
Walnut Creek, CA 94598
925-935-2995