Re: Firewalls

I am not familiar with BOCA, but I am sure that UBC does not require the fire
wall to be structurally independent. It is not clear whether this an area
separation wall or other type of a fire rated wall you are referring to. In
case of an area separation wall, the provisions in the 2000 IBC, (which may
have been based on the BOCA) section 705.2 states: " Fire walls shall have
sufficient structural stability under fire conditions to allow collapse of
construction on either side without collapse of the wall for the duration of
time indicated by the required fire resistance rating." I think your proposed
solution meets the intent of this section.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA