Re: Structural fee for planetarium

John Dewar [FRI 20 AUG 1999  16:43:01 wrote:

> We're designing a planetarium/classroom building for a college.  What sort of
> fee would one expect for the structural design?  Some statistics:
>
> 58,000 sf of combined classroom floor space and a planetarium
> 61' domed roof at the planetarium, using tension and compression rings and
> struts
> Two story construction for the adjoining classrooms
> Estimated total construction cost:  $8,500,000 to $10,000,000
> Estimated structural construction cost:  $1,200,000
> Minimal construction services
>
> This isn't very detailed information.  I'm just trying to see what others have
> experienced in general with similar projects.  Thanks in advance!
> John Dewar
> ext. 7431

ext. 7431

John,

In my opinion, since you are designing a "planetarium", your fee ought to be
ASTRONOMICAL!  Spell everything out specifically--nothing left NEBULAS!

You may want to review the discussion on Eating Cost Overruns.  I hope you are
not (gasp) "bidding" to do this design work?

Here's some food for thought, which should get you in the right STARPARK:

***

REALTOR COMMISSION FEES (here in Portland, OR):

6% 1st  $500,000, then  5% of balance

Land 6-8% of sale price

example using realtor estimation math [ASD]: $700,000 sale

   $700,000 x 5% + add another $5,000  = $40,000

   (which gives the same answer as using the 6% above)

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU (in case the Fee isn't)!

James Bela
Oregon Earthquake Awareness