RE: Radiant heat/conc. floor

Mark - I installed a radiant heat system in all SOG areas of my home (new constr
'96).  The 1/2" ID polyethylene tubing was tied to 6x6/10 rolled wire with a
"parallel" configuration:  6" OC  edges, 12" OC field.  The tubing was intended
for placement in the lower third of the 4" SOG.  The majority of the tubing was
cast in the lower third of the SOG...with the wire rusting in the sand above my
vapor barrier (this recollection brings back other unpleasant memories of
construction).  I have replaced large sections of floor coverings (pet
training...more bad memories) and have had an opportunity to inspect areas that
the tubing was properly embedded after 2+ years of service.  I have not noted
any substantial increase in hairline fractures or reflection cracking due to the
presence of the tubing.  Another sector was placed with the tubing oriented in a
circular fashion, fanning out from the center.  No reflection cracking is noted
for this test area.  Tubing was also placed in an outdoor patio area;  no
reflection cracking noted.  I am presently helping a neighbor lace tubing in the
formwork of a swimming pool deck (reverse radiant exchange for the pool) and I
have great expectations for the performance of this system.  The "Wirsbo"
company, one manufacturer of tubing and control systems,  may be able to
document a more definitive history of performance.  Hope that inspires.

Gerard Madden <GerardM(--nospam--at)crjarch.com> on 08/27/99 11:58:05 AM