From: Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com [mailto:Rick.Drake(--nospam--at)fluordaniel.com]
Sent: Monday, August 30, 1999 8:01 AM
To: From the desk of Joe Otto
Cc: Seaint@Seaint. Org
Subject: Re: Table 16-O - Horizontal Force Factors, ap and Rp

The a-sub-p factor in the 1997 UBC represents the dynamic amplification
factor,
relating the dynamic properties of the component to that of the structure.
Knowing the fundamental period of both the component and the structure, this
value can be exactly determined using basic dynamic principles.

However, since this value is not practical, a-sub-p has been assigned a
value
based on whether the component is either "rigid" or "Flexible", a-sub-p of
1.0
and 2,5 respectively.  This is analogous to the 1994 UBC method of
multiplying
C-sub-p times 2 for flexible items.

If your equipment is rigid, and not on vibration isolators (see footnote
14),
a-sub-p of 1.0 is appropriate.  If not, a-sub-p of 2.5 is appropriate.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo, CA