RE: Radiant heat/conc. floor

At 04:43 PM 8/27/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I have designed numerous slabs on grade with radient heat tubes. All of
them are in Alaska. Place a minimum of 12 inches of clean sandy gravel, 3
inches minimum sand, 2 inches minimum (depends on location in AK) styrofoam
blue, ( prefer the 60 psi compressive strength), fasten tubes to styrofoam
with staple, ties, or other and place concrete. I treat these slabs as any
other with crack control by mesh or fibers. The only problem to watch for
is where the tubes are very close togather as in the area of the manifold.
The friction of the tubes on the styrofoam is quite high and cracking very
hard to control. You may want to consider adding rebar or more mesh in this
area. If you have more questions contact me direct via emil.

>James Allen, P.E.

We have a project with Southern California Edison here in Mammoth Lakes
which uses the radiant heat outside for snowmelt on a driveway.  We are
doing a similar section as James Allen specifying  8"  4000 psi concrete
with #4 @ 16" o/c ew over the tubes/sand and adding the fibermesh to the
concrete.  The first phase of this hydronic system was placed about 5 years
ago and is working fine--outside!!
Debby Hight
Triad/Holmes Assoc.
P.O. Box 1570