Re: Sect 1632 Elements, Nonstructural Components & equip

Equation 32-1 is the maximum design lateral force for a nonstructural component.
It is based on the worst location in the building, the worst dynamic
amplification, and the worst energy absorption capacity.  If your item is
relatively light, it may not be a penalty to the anchorage design.

If your item is heavy, it is better that you use the more precise equation 32-2,
which let's you insert actual values for location in building, dynamic
amplification, and energy absorption capacity.  Assuming that your safe is
located at grade, the parenthetical term reduces to 1.0.  With a-sub-p = 1.0,
R-sub-p = 3.0, C-sub-a = 0.66,  your design force should be 0.22 times W-sub-p.
That's a lot less than 2.64 times W-sub-p.

The answer to your question is that you may have missed something.  If you want
to use the quick-and-easy-to-use Eq. 32-1 instead of the more precise Eq. 32-2,
you may have to pay the anchorage penalty.  Sounds like you have an opportunity
to do a more precise calculation and save your client some money.

Rick Drake, SE
Fluor Daniel, Aliso Viejo