Anchor Bolt/Nut Plug Weld

According to the August, 1999 Modern Steel Construction, plug welding a less-than-fully-threaded nut to an anchor rod (bolt) is not an effective means of attachment.  This concurs with my company's policy.  Lately one of our clients has become increasingly agitated over this policy.  I would like to back up our recommendations with something more substantial than this blurb from the Steel Quiz in MSC.  Can anyone guide me to research, articles, codes, or books that deal with this topic in detail?  Stories relating first-hand experience would also be welcome.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Frank S. Griffin, Jr., EIT
Fort Worth, Texas