From: Paul Meyer [mailto:PMeyer(--nospam--at)HASimons.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 1999 4:53 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: Topping out steel structures with a tree

I've been asked why ironworkers place an evergreen (Xmas?) tree at the top of a steel structure once the final erection is completed.  Any folklorists out there?  My copy of "Steel Beams and Iron Men" just says that no one knows how the tradition got started.  Surely someone must know?  I have a niece counting on me for this.

Paul Meyer, P. Eng.
Senior Structural Engineer
AGRA-Simons
250-368-2407