Re: 1997 UBC Deflection Requirements

From: Bill Allen <Bill(--nospam--at)AllenDesigns.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Date: Tuesday, August 31, 1999 1:27 PM
Subject: RE: 1997 UBC Deflection Requirements

This is where a 1997 UBC FAQ would come in handy.

Andrew, check recent archives on the subject. The short answer is the deflection criteria (0.005H vs. 0.025H) is like comparing apples to oranges since the 1997 UBC includes a 0.7*R factor to bump up the drift to, dare I say, ultimate levels.

HTH,

Bill Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS
Laguna Niguel, CA

Bill,

Thank you for your reply.  Now, this 0.7*R*(Delta s), where R is the overstrength/ductility factor in Table 16-N and Delta s simply comes from my static analysis of the structure in question?  Then ultimately, this value [0.7R(Delta s)] cannot exceed 0.025H?

Andrew Arnold
Arnold Engineering
Junior Engineer
B.S. Civil Engineering