Re: Topping out steel structures with a tree

When I worked as an apprentice to a master carpenter building my high school teachers home in Connecticut... I was told that it was a "Bud" bush.

The youngest person unfamiliar with the tradition needed to buy the "Bud" weiser.

I too understood this tradition to be symbolic of no accidents on the job.

Barry H. Welliver
Draper, Utah

Paul Meyer wrote:

I've been asked why ironworkers place an evergreen (Xmas?) tree at the top of a steel structure once the final erection is completed.  Any folklorists out there?  My copy of "Steel Beams and Iron Men" just says that no one knows how the tradition got started.  Surely someone must know?  I have a niece counting on me for this.

Paul Meyer, P. Eng.
Senior Structural Engineer
AGRA-Simons
250-368-2407