Re: Fee Information Sharing

In a message dated 8/29/1999 7:26:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
chuckuc(--nospam--at)dnai.com writes:

<< Dennis-
 I've done a small survey of residential engineering design fees here in
Marin Co.
 and would like to compare notes. These are large two or three story homes
 ($400,000 to $1,000,000+)on sloped sites with pier and grade beam
foundations.
 Engineering time is billed in the $100 to $150 per hour range.   Structural
 design fees run around $1.50 to $1.75 per square foot (the 97 UBC seismic
seems
 to have added about an extra $.25 to $.50). Structural drawings add another
$.25
 to $.35.  Trussed roofs knock off about $500. >>

Chuck, this seems low for the site that this home is being constructed on.
When comparing fees for a project that was discussed at the Consulting
Structural Engineers Society a few months ago, a fee for a similar home was
getting closer to 1.25% of the construction cost in the Los Angeles area.  In
my area, most homes are single story or split level at best with no unusual
soil conditions that require more than conventional slab on grade
foundations. I am quoting around $1.25 to $1.50 per square foot (regardless
of who designs the roof). However, these homes are much simpler to design
than hillside or homes on expansive soils.
I would think that your fees are on the low side, but then again, this has
much to do with local competition and the availability of work.

I've lost a few jobs lately from clients who were in a hurry. The choice was
to pay my fee (which was considered high) or wait for another engineers
schedule who charged less. The architect decided to wait for the lower fee.

Dennis