From: Paul Meyer <PMeyer(--nospam--at)HASimons.com>
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: Topping out steel structures with a tree
Date: Tuesday, August 31, 1999 3:53 PM

I've been asked why ironworkers place an evergreen (Xmas?) tree at the top
of a steel structure once the final erection is completed.  Any folklorists
out there?  My copy of "Steel Beams and Iron Men" just says that no one
knows how the tradition got started.  Surely someone must know?  I have a
niece counting on me for this.

Paul Meyer, P. Eng.
Senior Structural Engineer
AGRA-Simons