From: Frank Griffin [mailto:GRIFFIFS(--nospam--at)c-b.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 1999 3:55 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Anchor Bolt/Nut Plug Weld

According to the August, 1999 Modern Steel Construction, plug welding a
less-than-fully-threaded nut to an anchor rod (bolt) is not an effective
means of attachment.  This concurs with my company's policy.  Lately one of
our clients has become increasingly agitated over this policy.  I would like
to back up our recommendations with something more substantial than this
blurb from the Steel Quiz in MSC.  Can anyone guide me to research,
articles, codes, or books that deal with this topic in detail?  Stories
relating first-hand experience would also be welcome.  Thanks in advance for
any help.

Frank S. Griffin, Jr., EIT
Fort Worth, Texas