From: Yousefi, Ben
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 1999 9:53 AM
To: Joyce; seaint
Subject: RE: 1997 UBC PROVISIONS FOR WALL PIERS

The intent of the figure 23-II-1 is to provide some alternate means of
defining the height to width of the shear wall panels. With the new h/w
requirements of 2:1 for zone 3 and 4, it could be difficult to achieve
this
for the overall height (sill plate to top plate) to width (pier width) of
the shear wall.

So in lieu of using the overall height of the wall, you can define the
pier
height as the height from the window or doorsill to the header, as shown
in
the figure. In my opinion at least two things need to be done if you
choose
this approach:

1. Blocking and edge nailing should be provided at the top and bottom
of the pier for the entire width of the pier. (along with some straps as
collectors)

2. Drift calculations should be provided to show the deflection of the
entire wall (including the openings) is within acceptable limits.

One item that we have always struggled with is whether overturning should
be
checked for each pier or the wall as whole. I would be interested in
hearing
other's input on that.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA