Stress in masonry flying buttress

At 04:43 PM 01/09/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear SEAINT List members:
>
>FYI
>
>The Wood Panel discussion has now been finalized. It will be on Saturday
>October 2, 1999 at 10:35 AM. The panel includes: Dennis Wish, John Coil,
>Kelly Cobeen, Chris Christokos and Doug Thompson. Moderator Shafat Qazi.
>
>New Development: Steve Shekerlian of EQE International Inc will be making a
>presentation on the recent Turkey Earthquake on Friday October 1, 1999 at
>10:50 AM.
>
>Both of these presentations are going are eye openers and a "must attend"
>for anyone who designs/builds  structures for living. There will be a $50
>late fee beginning this Saturday, September 4, 1999. So, please go to
>http://www.seaint.org and register for the convention.
>
>If you are not able to attend but would like to ask a question to the wood
>panel members, please email it to me as early as you can. I will post the
>
>Thank You
>
>Shafat Qazi, P.E.
>SEAINT Admin

I have found puzzling results in an investigation of an existing masonry
flying buttress built in the 1890's.  The field results of the
investigation using Flatjack measurements are 10 to 20 times greater than
the stresses calculated theoretically.  My first reaction is that the
stresses are not uniform across the cross-section of the masonry.
Any comments?

Jon Turner