Re: 1997 UBC PROVISIONS FOR WALL PIERS

In a message dated 9/3/1999 4:29:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Ben.Yousefi(--nospam--at)ci.sj.ca.us writes:

<< Dennis

 The blocking and edge nailing (B&E) for the entire width is required, in my
 opinion, in order to be able to qualify each pier as a "mini-shear" wall so
 the H/W ratio can be assesses based on the height of the pier. If the B&E
 for entire width is not provided, then the pier is still a part of a larger
 panel and you have not created a distinct element. Also in order to assess
 the drift requirement you will need to measure the deflection of the pier.
 Without having a boundary element that would not be feasible since
 deflection equations assume edge nailing around the boundary of the element.

 Ben Yousefi, SE
 San Jose, CA >>

Thanks for correcting me, Ben.  I will revise my detailing to extend the
blocking and nailing the full depth of the panel. I had interpreted it
differently from prior codes where we did the same thing to reduce the H/b
allowance on the panel.

Regards,
Dennis