Re: ASR Repair

The Institution of Structural Engineers issued a report on this some years
ago. Information from http://www.istructe.org.uk/public/pub.html#alkali is
copied below.

Structural effects of alkali-silica reaction

Technical guidance on appraisal of existing structures

This report has been prepared by an Institution Task Group and updates and
replaces the advice given in the previous report Structural effects of
alkali-silica reaction ? interim technical guidance on the appraisal of
existing structures, originally published in December 1988. It incorporates
new data derived from research work carried out by UK organisations, papers
presented at the 8th International alkali-aggregate reaction conference held
in Kyoto in 1989 and additional field experience of the problem.

The report is in three parts, namely:

ASR ? the process and its effects
assessment, appraisal and monitoring of structures
research needs.
These sections contain information on the development of ASR damage in the
UK, the chemical process of ASR, and the diagnosis and assessment of
expansion and cracking and its physical effects on concrete. Guidance on the
appraisal of strength and serviceability of ASR affected structures is also
given in addition to advice on the management and monitoring of affected
structures. A summary of test procedures is also included as an appendix
together with a substantial bibliography.

Ref. number 062 1992 48pp A4
Price £21 members/£35 non-members

James Cohen
James Cohen Consulting, P.C.