Re: ASR Repair

Mark,

There is not much you can do to repair the concrete that has ASR.  From my
previous research on this subject indicates that there are ways you can assess
ASR damage but you can not stop it.  That is, there is no cost effective way of
dealing/stopping ASR.  I understand that you can introduce additives in new
concrete to prevent ASR but not much is available for concrete already in
place.  One way you can cotroll the ASR is to deprive the concrete of moisture,
that is limit water intrusion by way of sealing the concrete.  I understand
that the coatings used to seal the concrete will not permit the concrete to
"breath" and it does not perform well if it is subjected to UV and it
delaminates.

If ASR is localized you may be able to remove the damages area and patch it
with polymer modified concrete.   Some of the SIKA Products have done well.
Don't be surprise if you have to replace the parapet.

You might want read up on this subject.

Handbook For The Identification of Alkali-Silica Reactivity in Highway
Structures
By David Stark of Construction Technology Laboratories, Inc,      Skokie,
Illinois

You can also contact

Strategic Highway Research Program
2101 Constitution Ave., N.W.
Washington,   D.C.  20418
202-334-3774

If you need more info call me at 213-847-8919.  I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Shashi Bhakta
Structural & Geotechnical Engineering Division
Bureau of Engineering
City of Los Angeles

>>> Mark Rodgers <MarkR(--nospam--at)dpsabq.com> 09/07/99 02:39PM >>>
I am working on a remodel and addition to a retail store.  The concrete
parapets exhibit signs of Alkali Silica Reactivity (ASR).  The concrete has
been tested and ASR is present.  The building was built in the 60's in
Albuquerque, NM.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on the repair of concrete with ASR?

Thanks in Advance,

Mark Rodgers. EIT
Dekker / Perich / Sabatini
architecture  interiors  planning  engineering
505 761.9700
fax 761.4222