Include parallel wall weight for shear?

When summing the moments of loads which a wall has to be designed for, I
notice it's common to ignore the effect of the wall itself when the
direction of the EQ force is parallel to that wall. (method used in M.
Baradar's exam example book). Half the wt x ht of the perpendicular walls
are included which makes sense but I feel half the wt x ht of the wall
itself also contributes a moment which that wall has to react against. Any
comments? Thank you. DH