Re: CORROSION OF JOIST HANGERS AND ROOF HARDWARE

--- Begin Message ---
I'll put in my 2 cents in regard to a possible root cause:

"Ponding"

Based on my personal experience of reviewing plans, and the observations in
the field, I believe one of the most overlooked areas of building design is
roof drainage. Architects are normally responsible for specifying the slope
and showing the drain and overflow details and their locations. However, they
are not apparently very keen on this issue. Many times the slope is not even
defined on the drawings. Also, until the 88 edition, the UBC did not even
specify a minimum roof slope. Technically you could have designed the roof
completely flat and still complied with the code. (the exact language was:
"Roof systems not designed to support accumulated water shall be sloped for
drainage" ).

I have made it a habit of paying particular attention to this during the
review process. My suggestion to all structural engineers is to get proactive
on this issue and make sure the architect has addressed roof the drainage
properly. Keep in mind that the even the minimum slope of 1/4 inch per foot
may not still not be adequate, 1/2 inch per foot is much more functional.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA

--- End Message ---