Wind Tunnel Testing

In the very near future, Halff Associates expects to begin designing a
series of "signature" bridges in concert with Santiago Calatrava of Zurich,
Switzerland.  These bridges are envisioned to be steel arch and cable
structures, with concrete decks spanning from 800 feet to 2000 feet.  If a
picture is worth a thousand words, the bridge model photographs at

http://www.trinityrivercorridor.org/default.asp "What's New?"

should be worth several paragraphs.  The first bridge will probably be an
eight-lane divided structure with twin arches, each spanning about 800 feet.
Several questions have been raised concerning wind tunnel testing of this
structure.  Since I do not have first-hand experience with wind tunnel
testing, I request your collective wisdom in answering these questions:

1.	Is wind tunnel testing appropriate and necessary for this type of
structure?

2.	Where in North America could these tests best be conducted?

3.	What would be the approximate (order of magnitude) cost for this
testing?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts on this matter.

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E., F.ASCE
Vice President, Structures
***************************************
HALFF ASSOCIATES, INC.
Engineers*Architects*Planners
8616 Northwest Plaza Drive
Dallas, Texas  75225
Phone:    (214)346-6280
Mobile:   (214)236-9696
Fax:      (214)739-0095
Email:    scaldwell(--nospam--at)halff.com
Website:  http://www.halff.com