RE: calculation pad (turkey eq and cal code)

Jimmy C-
Be aware that simply specifiying a code is insufficient toward
the goal of ending up with quality construction.  Please check
out the web site Frank McClure lists below, or check out the
EQE International website, on which you will find several
interesting first-hand reports.

I quote below from the conclusion portion of the EQE
briefing that is on their website:

<< http://www.eqe.com/revamp/izmitreport/index.html  >>

"Loss of life and building collapse was avoidable.
Almost all of the damage caused by the earthquake, and
almost all of the deaths caused by the collapse of
inadequately designed and constructed buildings was
avoidable. That is particularly true for buildings
built during the last decade. Turkey has a modern
building code for earthquake design, very similar
to that used in California. Therefore, modern buildings
should have had moderate-to-light damage, given that
the intensities of shaking in this earthquake were
moderate. In fact, new buildings performed very poorly
because they were not properly designed, not properly
constructed, or located on ground that failed from
shaking or faulting. This is a fact that building
owners around the world need to clearly understand.
The presence of an advanced building code, whether
in California, Japan, Italy, or Turkey does not
guarantee adequate performance of buildings and their
contents."

(Above from the EQE website << http:\\www.eqe.com >> )