Re: Order of magnitude (was wind tunnel testing)

John Riley <JPRiley485(--nospam--at)aol.com> wrote:

>Yes, I think "order of magnitude?" is simply "ten to what power?"  So the
>fellow who offered a cost guestimate of wind tunnel testing at $100,000 to
>$200,000 gave the order of magnitude because he is saying "1 (or 2) times 10
>to the 5th power."

As "He who made the guestimate", I can't argue with John on this. I
wouldn't consider the guestimate "wrong" if costs came out between .5 and 5
(or so) times 10 to the 5th power, depending on what the structure is like,
and what sort of modeling is deemed necessary and sufficient.

Is this what Stan was looking for? When I've been asked by clients for such
numbers, I've usually assumed they wanted something closer.

So whadaya get for your all this money? There's a page at my web site with
some photos and brief descriptions of the wind tunnel tests performed for
design of the Third Carquinez Bridge: Check it out:

    http://www.ketchum.org/carquinezwind.shtml

Also a description of some of the structural types considered:

    http://www.ketchum.org/carquinez.html

Check 'em out!

Mark Ketchum Ph.D. <mark(--nospam--at)ketchum.org>
http://www.ketchum.org
Berkeley & San Francisco, California