Re: Order of magnitude

>The Richter scale is based on the equivalent energy in tons of TNT.  So a
>7 on the Richter scale means 1X10^7 tons of TNT.
For what it's worth (could win you a bar bet some day) The Richter scale
is an arbitrary one based on a standard (Richter's standard) seismometer
amplitude at a distance of 100 km from the epicenter. According to
'Nuclear Reactors and Earthquakes' the biggest earthquakes release energy
equivalent to 10000 20 kiloton nuclear bombs. The 1906 San Francisco
quake release was about 10^16 joule.

I think I need to get out of the office more often...

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw